Do you have goals in life that excite you so much, goals that don’t make you sleep at night? Here is a man who is just crazy with his goal in life, he is none other than apostle Paul.
Who is Apostle Paul?
- Roman citizen
- Hebrew of Hebrew
- Pharisee (Perfect Law keeper)
- Persecutor of Christian
- Apostle to Gentiles
- Miracle Worker
- Tentmaker (entrepreneur)
- Beheaded for His goal in life.
Why I want to preach this sermon. (Purpose)
1. You will develop a desire to know more and more of Christ.
2. You will set priority in your life and pursue the things that matter most in life.
Before we get into the first point I want you to know the tense of Salvation
- Past – Justification (God Declare you righteous)
- Present – Sanctification (process of cleaning)
- Future – Glorification ( We will receive glorified body)
Please turn with me to Philippian 3:12-14.
12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I presson so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
1. Pursuing to KNOW more of Christ.
The main focus of chapter 3 is knowing more of Jesus. V. 3: 8, 10, 11.
8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of KNOWING Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ
10 I want to KNOW Christ—yes, to KNOW the power of his resurrection andparticipation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
- Zacchaeus the tax collector climb up sycamore tree to see Jesus. (His life was changed)
- Nicodemus a Pharisee and a member of Sanhedrin come to Jesus at night. (His life was changed)
- Son of Korah: As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
A question to ponder:Did you really Know Christ? Matthew 7:21-22?
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’
Did you know Jesus? if yes? Did Jesus know you? Did He really know you?
How will I know I am truly born again believer.
1 John 2: 3-6. says –
3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them.
This is how we know we are in him:
6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.
We cannot claim that we are born again believer and didn’t obey Him, the Bible said we are a liar and the truth is not in us.
Your action or your fruit will prove that you are a true believer.
If you are Born again believer, my question Are you pursuing to know more about Jesus.
Let us learn from Apostle Paul, He chases to know more and more of our Dear Saviour.
And If you are confused about your faith in Christ, come to father soon before it is too late, He is lovingly waiting for you to come home, come home.
Let’s move down to our second point, shall we read verse 13 and 14.
13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do:forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
2. Pursuing the goal for the prize. 13, 14.
Remember one day we all will all stand before God and give account for the life we live. Remember one day God will reward you for what you have done on earth.
Remember it is not just eternal life we are receiving but God will reward all of us.
Apostle Paul knows so well about the great reward for him so He keep chasing and pressing toward the prize God has for him.
Remember, Bible promise us 5 crowns for believers:
- The Incorruptible Crown ( Those who faithfully finish the task mission. ) (1 Cor. 9:24-25)
- The Crown of Rejoicing ( Soul winner ) (1 Thess 2:19.)
- The Crown of Life (those who went severe hardship, testing and tribulation, physical death) (Rev. 2:10)
- The Crown of Righteousness ( those who live righteous life and those who wait upon His coming) (2 Tim.4:8)
- The crown of Glory (Pastors/ teachers of the word of God) (1 Pet. 5:1-4)
How should we pursue
- By forgetting the past
- Past achievement / Success has nothing to do with present and future,
- Past guilt and sin. – Paul mean to say that we should not live in the past, if we are to achieve our goal in life we should forget the past and focus and march forward toward the goal.
Romans 8:1, 2 Cor 5:17, Heb. 12.
“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. Isaiah 43:18.
Apostle Paul sacrifice his life for gospel,
At last he said,“I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Tim 4:7.
Few life application
- William Carey
- Hudson taylor
- David Livingstone
- Adoniram Judson
Are you pursuing for the upward call?
What have you done for the Lord?
Let us remind ourself today that focusing on the goal God has for us is the things that matter most in life. “We must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent us. the night is coming, when no one can work”. John 9:4.
1 Corinthian 15:58.
“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
We have seen two points under the topic Joy filled Goal.
1) Pursuing to know more about Christ
2) Pursuing the goal for the prize.
As children of God let us pursue to know more about our saviour and keep growing in the Lord and let us focus to the goal God has set for us.
May God give wisdom to all of us.