Unlike other preaching styles like ‘Topical Preaching‘ where the preacher decides what topic is relevant for the congregation; Expository Preaching is very much different which is something that we at The Gathering follow.
Topical preaching is not necessarily wrong in that sense because there are church leaders who are genuinely led by the Spirit to teach their congregation what the Lord directs.
Don’t miss latest sermons, articles & important updates.
Expository preaching involves the exposition or comprehensive explanation of the Scripture; that is, expository preaching presents the meaning and intent of a biblical text, providing commentary and examples to make the passage clear and understandable. The word exposition is related to the word ‘expose’ — the expository preacher’s goal is simply to expose the meaning of the Bible, verse by verse. – www.gotquestions.org
Here are few reasons why we prefer Expository preaching.
1. Exposition magnifies the scripture which therefore leads the preachers to discover the original intent and meaning of the text before drawing out any conclusions.
2. We’ve found Expository preaching as the best way to preach the Bible because if every word of God is pure and true, then every word needs to be dealt with.
3. Expository preaching familiarizes people with the scripture itself instead of simply giving them a speech. It also encourages them to study the Bible on their own.
4. In Expository preaching the Scripture clearly stands out as the ultimate Authority no matter how powerful and gifted the preacher is.
5. Last but not the least and my personal favorite – Expository preaching drives us to see the Gospel at work in every text of the Bible because the ultimate goal of every word of the Bible is to point us to Christ and His finished work on the cross.